La Paz County Sheriff's
10/04/2012-Currently Accepting Applications
below for application information
- Operates often heavy volume
emergency telephone system receiving calls for the police, fire, and emergency
paramedic departments and obtains pertinent information concerning incidents
involving the lives and property of citizens.
- Determines whether a call is an
emergency or non-emergency situation and directs the call to the appropriate
- Enters information into a
Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system and relays the call information to the
appropriate Agency, which involves direct radio communication with police
officers, fire department, and ambulance & rescue personnel.
- Performs computer clearances
and information searches for police officers, utilizing computer systems
including National Crime Information System (NCIC), the Arizona Crime
Information System (ACIC), and Internal databases.
- Compiles and prepares
information for various reports.
- Some positions may perform
other general clerical duties.
- Performs other related duties
as assigned or requested.
Knowledge, Skills and
- Integrity/Honesty – Displays
high standards of ethical conduct and understands the impact of violating these
standards on an organization, self, and others; chooses an ethical course of
action; is trustworthy.
- Listening – Receives, attends
to, interprets, and responds to verbal messages and other cues in ways that are
appropriate to listeners and situations.
- Decision Making – Specifies
goals and obstacles to achieving those goals, generates alternatives, considers
risks, and evaluates and chooses the best alternative in order to make a
determination, draw conclusions or solve a problem.
- Interpersonal Skills – Shows
understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, cooperation, concern, and
politeness to others; relates well to different people from varied backgrounds
and different situations.
- Memory – Recalls information
that has been presented previously.
- Customer Service – Works and
communicates with clients and customers to satisfy their expectations.
Committed to quality service.
- Conscientiousness – Displays a
high level of effort and commitment towards performing work; demonstrates
- Flexibility – Adapts quickly to
- Skill in communicating clearly
and concisely to elicit, and/or present explanatory information while
controlling emotions and voice inflexions over the phone during varying degrees
- Skill in determining the
seriousness of an emergency and knowing when to notify appropriate authority as
- Skill in establishing effective
working relationships with other employees and organizations in emergency or
- Skill in the interpretation and
application of written guidelines, precedents and work practices to standardized
work situations or specific cases.
- Skill in utilizing a variety of
computer systems and dispatching equipment.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in
typing skills with minimal errors
- Skill in reviewing, sorting, or
collecting data from a variety of sources.
- Ability to work under pressure,
exercise good judgment and make sound decisions in stressful
- Ability to multi-task a variety
of functions, media, conversations, and other environmental factors.
- Ability to define problems,
collects data quickly and accurately, and draws solid conclusions.
- Ability to learn and interpret
maps, learn radio and other codes, and interpret data received from multiple
- Knowledge of general office
procedures sufficient to be able to perform clerical duties as
- Knowledge of La Paz County
geography and street layout sufficient to be able to determine district, area
and Town jurisdictions.
- Subject to varying and
- Handles emergency or crisis
- Subject to many
- Pressure due to multiple calls
- Requires judgment and action in
life threatening situations.
- Shift work with varying days
off, works holidays and weekends, subject to changing work schedule.
- Work is primarily performed in
a confined workspace and requires wearing a headset.
- Graduation from high school or
possession of a GED Certificate.
emergency services dispatch experience preferred
for 911 Dispatcher:
print, complete and mail/deliver the following application. Note that some
portions require Notarization:
- Annual Salary
Range: $26,500 – $37,583 (16
- A lateral 911 Dispatcher may be
hired at pay steps above entry level depending on qualifications, training and
experience, with authorization from the Sheriff and the County Board of
- 10 Paid Holidays per year
- Health Insurance; Employee and
- Employee is fully paid for by
County for Medical, Vision & Dental
- Optional Dependent Coverage:
50% County cost share
- Other health benefits (i.e.
- Arizona State Employee
- Paid by Employee
- 50% @ 25
- Annual Vacation:
- 80 hours after initial
- 120 hours after 5yrs
- 160 hours after 10yrs
- Sick Leave: 80hrs per year
- Educational Program: Job
related educational expenses may be reimbursed
*Adobe Reader required
La Paz County
Arizona Dept of Public